Friday, April 22, 2011

A mid-afternoon pick me up

Oatmeal-almond-chocolate crisps, a great pick me up
We are hosting back to back Easter parties this year, and preparing for Tyler's first easter egg hunt with his little friends. I spent most of today cleaning and prepping for the parties, but I was running out of steam by the afternoon. I was dying for a chocolate chip cookie, but unfortunately there was none lying around. Luckily, I remembered reading a quick cookie recipe from one of my old Martha's Everyday Food magazine recently, and thankfully I already had all the ingredients.

This recipe is so easy, only requires a few ingredients, and it only took me 30 minutes from beginning to end (ie. from putting all the ingredients together to putting the cookie into the mouth).

Oatmeal - almond - chocolate crisps adapted from Everyday food

1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven for 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk brown sugar, butter, egg and vanilla until smooth. Mix in oats, almonds and chocolate chips
3. Drop mixture by level tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Flatten the cookies by using the back of a metal spoon
4. Bake until golden, 14 to 16 minutes. Store in air tight jar.

The cookies/crisps are light, crispy and not too sweet. It definitely hit the spot, I didn't feel too guilty eating more than one, they are particularly health food with all the oatmeal! LOL!

I am usually a chocolate chip or triple chocolate fudge cookie kind of girl, but I give these crisps two thumbs up! And since the list of ingredients is short and doesn't require a lot of prep time, I think these crisps are going to be a stable in our cookie jar.

Off I go with more cleaning and prep, stay tune for my Easter recipes in days to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment