Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Portuguese Chicken - HK style


I started taking an interesting in cooking when I started dating hubby 10 years ago (OMG! 10 years already?), it started with some baking, then went on to a full blown obsession! As I have mentioned before, my inspirations usually come from other food blogs, cooking shows and cook books, but before all of these, there was my mom. My mom was also a working mom, but she always managed to put a yummy dinner on the table.

This week's recipe is definitely an inspiration from my mom, she always made this for my sister and I growing up, and that taste is always on my mind. I don't really know where the name Portuguese Chicken comes from, I wonder if it is really a Portuguese dish or not, all I know is if you grew up in Hong Kong, you must know about this dish. It is similar to curry chicken, but it is not spicy and the creamiest comes from the coconut milk. It is a really easy dish to make and perfect served with rice.

Portuguese Chicken - HK style 
Adapted from http://hungerhunger.blogspot.com/2007/08/portuguese-chicken.html



8 pieces of chicken thighs (cut into chunks)
2 brown onions, in small chunks
2 carrots, in small chunks
1/2 package of mushrooms (cut in half)
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of tumeric powder
1 can of coconut milk
1/2 cup milk
3 to 4 cups water
Salt and pepper to season


1. Mix the tumeric into the chicken, season with salt and pepper. Pan fry the chicken and onions in a little bit of veg oil for 4 to 5 min, add the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, water and simmer 15 min.
2. In a separate pan, put in butter, then turn heat on to medium (so butter won't brown) and when butter has melted, add the flour, stirring well. It will form clumps but continue to fry it under low heat for 1 min. Do not let it brown.



3. Add the coconut milk and the milk a little at a time, stirring well, till a thick cream is formed. Use a whisk to eliminate any lumps.


4. Stir in the milk mixture into the pot with the chicken and vegetables once the chicken is cooked. Let the sauce bubble, then let is cook for about 5 min.


5. Spoon the mixture into an over proof dish, and broil (on HIGH) for 5 min or until top is brown.

Serve with rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment